Marlin 336 Magazine Tube Quandary

Topical Discussions include anything pertaining to Gunsmithing.

Moderators: JackF, Harold_V

38-72

Marlin 336 Magazine Tube Quandary

Post by 38-72 »

I’m in the process of putting together a long barreled (30”) Marlin Cowboy style rifle in 32-40. I got a 336 made in 1957 as a starting point. I going to use all the Marlin Cowboy factory hardware except for the barrel and magazine tube (factory stuff is not long enough).

A custom made barrel is in the works. I am finding it difficult to locate a long enough magazine tube and the corresponding spring. I thought I might be able to use seamless (DMO) tubing and checked the net for available sizes. And, within a few thousands, I can find either the correct OD or correct ID but not both. The magazine tube on my 336 measures about 0.650” OD and about 0.560" ID.

My questions is: Would I better off turning the down the OD to the correct size. Or, should I order the correct OD and then drill or ream out the ID to the correct size. Or, should I order some other size and press the correct size ball thru the tube to bring it up to the correct ID. I have never done, this but hear it is possible. I have no idea what size tube I should start with to end up with the correct OD.

Your thoughts and advise on this would be greatly appreciated.
hammermill

Re: Marlin 336 Magazine Tube Quandary

Post by hammermill »

my 2 cents would go with the proper od and use a split end rod to flap hone the inside dimensions to get a smooth interior, you indicate it will only be a few thou.
drive the hone with a drill and a little lube .

the ball idea may work but getting everything right may prove a challenge. conecting the proper fitting to one end a pushing the ball with a grease gun??????
may work or enough pressure may split the tube.

pulling the ball through may also work, much like some rifling is done,but getting equipment set up for a long straight pull may make the honeing look high speed.

as to the spring you may have to buy a bulk legenth and cut to fit. or roll your own after reviewing several of the tutorials out there.

learning how to make springs is a good skillset to have.
alphawolf45

Re: Marlin 336 Magazine Tube Quandary

Post by alphawolf45 »

I would get two short factory magazine tubes and silver solder them together under the wood..Probably join them with a short sleeve rather than just a butt joint..And for magazine spring I might get the longest one available and add a plug spacer in the front end like as in shotgun to limit carrying capacity..Surely you dont need to carry a 30 inch tube full of cartridges on a hunt. heavy, heavy,heavy.....Numrich has the best selection and prices for mag tubes that I have found.