Interesting History Channel program

Topical Discussions include anything pertaining to Gunsmithing.

Moderators: JackF, Harold_V

PeteH

Interesting History Channel program

Post by PeteH »

Since this forum covers a very wide geographical area, not everyone may have access to "The History Channel"; but if you do, you might enjoy an episode called "Ancient Mega-Forts", which includes a segment about firing a modern-built and miniaturized version of the "Dardanelles Gun", an early "supergun".

"Miniaturized" is relative - this one fires a stone ball about 12" across, vs the 30" bore of the original.
Pete in NJ
Al_Messer

Re: Interesting History Channel program

Post by Al_Messer »

WHOOSH! Can't you just imagine the impact when it hits/hit?
Al Messer

"One nation, under God"
PeteH

Post by PeteH »

They fired the 12" one at a solid-concrete-block wall, to mimic the wall of Constantinople (again in miniature). Range looked to be 25 yards or so. Spectacular to say the least... plenty of smoke, a marvellous hissing roar/BOOM, and the ball punched right through the wall.

Then they fired another shot through a series of white sticks at calibrated distances and in front of a high-speed camera, to measure the speed of the ball; knowing the weight, they calculated the energy at 5000 kilojoules, which converts to about 3.7 MILLION foot-pounds. (Not quite sure I believe that, but it sure looked like the finger-of-god poking that wall!)
Pete in NJ
steamin10

Post by steamin10 »

Ya, I saw that one last night. Interesting on various fronts for the apples and oranges numbers thrown around.

They claimed the impact of x- many joules were more than a contemporary tank round. It all relates to the way that energy is focused. While the stone ball made a 3 foot hole in the wall with 2 shots, I am pretty sure an Abrams would survive a 2 stone ball hits. Hmm, would their ears ring inside? :roll:

They did have a few worthy notes on the 2 piece gun.
Big Dave, former Millwright, Electrician, Environmental conditioning, and back yard Fixxit guy. Now retired, persuing boats, trains, and broken relics.
We have enough youth, how about a fountain of Smart. My computer beat me at chess, but not kickboxing
It is not getting caught in the rain, its learning to dance in it. People saying good morning, should have to prove it.