Almost!

Topical Discussions include anything pertaining to Gunsmithing.

Moderators: JackF, Harold_V

Metalshaper

Almost!

Post by Metalshaper »

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y181/m ... 200394.jpg

Quick tease, to show the almost completed UH I've been working on. I just have a couple of lil' things left to do and then it's off my bench. We'll see how it does and the Voo this weekend?

Respect Always
Metalshaper/Jonathan
MachineMitch

Re: Almost!

Post by MachineMitch »

Lookin' good so far, Jonathan. I can't wait to see the final product. When you're done, you should definitely take more pictures -- perhaps close up and at different angles. Either way, it's totally something to be proud of. I just hope that I'm able to produce similar results when I get started on my metal project. I'm kind of afraid to get started. Everyone's stuff has already been pretty intimidating. LOL.
randyc

Post by randyc »

Totally GORGEOUS - Beautiful work ! Yes, more photos are needed.

Randy C
Al_Messer

Post by Al_Messer »

Good looking job. Is this your own design or did you work from a blueprint?
Al Messer

"One nation, under God"
Metalshaper

Post by Metalshaper »

Al_Messer wrote:Good looking job. Is this your own design or did you work from a blueprint?
Al,

My own design, for the lock-works. Kind of a proof of concept, trying to fit a DS trigger system into a UH. <Mainly because I was told you couldn't do it! 8) > The frames are our Modified version of the old H&A guns. I never liked those huge pins/screws they put through the frame, so I build the lock into an 'insert'.
from the hammer's tumbler, to the back of the parts is 3.5"

Seems most people dislike my English guard, based on other comments I've gotten showing it around??
which I guess is good, since it cracked the other night! :oops: Thankfully I had a spare Hawken guard on hand and can make the change up with lil trouble!

Oh, no blueprints. Just some of my scribbles and a lot of adjusting during the process.

Respect Always
Metalshaper/Jonathan
Al_Messer

Post by Al_Messer »

Well, scribbles or not, it looks to me that you have a well thought-out design which you have executed in an excellent fashion.

TRANSLATION: Great job!! Congratulations!! How about posting your "scribbles" for the benefit of the rest of us?

:mrgreen: Al
Al Messer

"One nation, under God"
Metalshaper

Post by Metalshaper »

Al_Messer wrote:Congratulations!! How about posting your "scribbles" for the benefit of the rest of us?
:mrgreen: Al
Al,

I'm still kinda working out the details. the 1st model was a proof of concept and was built in an 'expedient' manner. you could have done it with a drill press, hacksaw and files ( which btw is how I started building guns) for the 2nd version, I'm trying to take better advantage of available tooling..to make a more refined example.

and my scribbles are just that :oops: I'd be drummed out of any drafting class.. and probably 1st grade art!! :lol:

Respect Always
Metalshaper/Jonathan
Metalshaper

Post by Metalshaper »

Well, for the most part.. Here it is!

Still need to tweek the lock, but this is how its gonna end up! :wink:

http://s5.photobucket.com/albums/y181/m ... =slideshow

Respect Always
Metalshaper/Jonathan
alphawolf45

Post by alphawolf45 »

Wow Metalshaper.. That turned out totally gorgeous!! I had not seen your slideshow till now.. Fantastic details..Beautiful pictures.....I got goosebumps.. :D What'cha working on these days?
Metalshaper

Post by Metalshaper »

Alpha,

Thanks for the compliments! As to what I'm working on now :? I have that outside mainspring side slapper lock I need to get back to. I have MY version of a Tinsley boxlock, about 60 % machined. <still need to decide how I want to go about the internals? > and I'm trying to find a barrel blank,
to go on my replica Jenks carbine build.

other than that I have a bunch more to do :lol:

Respect Always
metalshaper/Jonathan
JackF

Post by JackF »

Here's another "Beautiful job" for your files. :D 8) Come on now, you did this with a drill press, hack saw and file? :shock: :) Do you have a pictorial history of any of your projects, I'm sure others besides myself would love to see how a gun is built. Once again, "Beautiful Job". 8)

Jack.
Metalshaper

Post by Metalshaper »

JackF wrote:Here's another "Beautiful job" for your files. :D 8) Come on now, you did this with a drill press, hack saw and file? :shock: :) Do you have a pictorial history of any of your projects, I'm sure others besides myself would love to see how a gun is built. Once again, "Beautiful Job". 8)

Jack.

Jack,

Thanks for the "pat on the back" nice to know my stuff is appreciated.

you said above;" come on now, you did this with a drill press blah, blah,blah.. :wink:
I said earlier in the thread "you could have done it with a drill press, hacksaw and files ( which btw is how I started building guns)" I did not say however,, this was all I used on the UH :lol:

although... it was all I had, when I made this one!!

the guard casting, the barrel, the rib,and stock blank, were all I bought on this one. I made everything else.. Sure is a lot easier, now that I have my lil X2 mill!!

Respect Always
Metalshaper/Jonathan