Turning stainless??

Topical Discussions include anything pertaining to Gunsmithing.

Moderators: JackF, Harold_V

Bob Pastor

Re: Turning stainless??

Post by Bob Pastor »

Hi Jonathan,

Another poster, posted the below sentence and he is exactly correct on both statements.

"C2 carbide is generally recommended for stainless. It will also respond well to HSS, but knowing how to grind the tools is important."

I chamber a lot of benchrest barrels and all of my work must be done at low speeds, due to tolerance considerations and to keep the heat down. I posted a set of short videos on YouTube, for home hobbyists, on just this subject. One video is on HSS indexable inserts and several on set up on the lathe for threading Stainless Steel. If you go to the first one, you can then click on other videos by this poster and view the others. I hope this helps you out.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LKGkkGFsF50
Bob
Bob Pastor

Post by Bob Pastor »

Metalshaper wrote:Ok, got a stainless steel Brutus Denali blank from Gunparts. .50 cal, 1:24 twist, and 1.25" diameter

What advice can anyone offer ( loaded question :D )
for turning this barrel to a different profile. I assume light cuts and some sort of coolant flow? any thing, as far as coolants you'd stay away from?? what Speeds/feeds/carbide? or HSS, you'd suggest

. I have access to a Howa lathe 24" swing 8' on center.. so getting it to fit the lathe is no problem! I've never turned stainless, so I'm curious as to what you all would say!!??

Respect Always
Metalshaper/Jonathan
Hi Jonathan,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wyWfj_DSFkk

The attached link will help you out as far as a great high sulfur cutting oil. I use it on all my stainless steel barrels, for chambering and tapering. Very little mess and it won't run all over the place. The video is in two parts. I hope this helps.

Bob
Metalshaper

Post by Metalshaper »

Bob,

Thanks for the tip and video. Only could get the first one to load? < but I was at lunch and viewing it on my work puter there. >

Respect Always
Metalshaper/Jonathan