Anti-Seize

Topical Discussions include anything pertaining to Gunsmithing.

Moderators: JackF, Harold_V

standish

Anti-Seize

Post by standish »

I've been just using axle grease on barrel threads with no problem, but I picked up some stuff at the auto parts store that is moly grease with graphite. Thought it might be better. Any opinions?
Curmudgeon
David_toledo

Re: Anti-Seize

Post by David_toledo »

Been good to me so far.
My-Smokepole you can quess what i shoot.
David
Jon

Post by Jon »

I'm a benchrest shooter, and it is our nature to switch barrels rather frequently. I use a product called "Friction Block" made by Action Products, Hagerstown Md 21740. I don't know if they still market it, but heard either S&W or Rem. market it now. Most benchrest shooters lube the threads of their barrels for ease of removal, but for regular hunting type rifles that isn't really necessary for the barrel is rarely replaced but once. I go thru a min. of 3 to a max. of 6 barrels a year on the three benchrest guns I use. I have a nice collection of stainless steel tomato stakes tho.
David_toledo

Post by David_toledo »

I mite be able to find a good home for all of them tomato stakes. We do demonstrate rifling as a way to educated the masses.
David
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

David, I sold all my used barrels this morning. The guy is going to use them on a woodchuck rifle. I told him they were 6mm with a 1-14 twist but it didn't sway him from buying 35 barrels. 11 were off my rail gun and they were 1.350 dia. and appox. 26" long. He will have fun with them. One quick question, I'm looking for 20 barrels, .457 dia. bore, finished length has to be 32-33", 1.250 finished OD, straight. and cut rifled. They will be used to build 2 full scale Model 1874 Gatling Guns. I would prefer Stainless as these guns will not be true replicas of a Model 1874 for they will have the bolt safety and the bolt removal port. I have lots of sources for benchrest barrels but most of those guys are a bit pricy on the large bores and I'm not looking for benchrest accuracy, but the barrels will be used with smokeless powder. I would love to use black powder in them, but the cleaning would be a nightmare. Thanks for any help. Jon
Jon

Post by Jon »

Sorry about the post above, I forgot to log in, so I ended up as Anonymous [img]/ubb/images/graemlins/grin.gif"%20alt="[/img] Jon
David_toledo

barrels

Post by David_toledo »

I can't help you. All of your barrels come from Ed Rayl.
David
David Hineline

Re: barrels

Post by David Hineline »

Keep in mind that for your Gatling Gun project you can not manufacture a feed magazine over 10rnd capacity without breaking the law.

Hope you have a source of original magazines.
Jon

Re: barrels

Post by Jon »

David, I have a source of pre-ban 40 rd. stack mags for the Gatling. And I think you should look up BATF's determination of fixed feeding systems (Bruce Feed) for the Gatling Gun. I know you mean well by advising me but in this instance you are a little wet. When I plan on spending in excess of $ 15,000 in materials on a project (2 Gatling Guns full size, using original patterns from Colt to make the castings) I do my homework to insure my efforts will not end up in my being a guest of the goverment in some crowbar hotel. Jon