Controversy?

Topical Discussions include anything pertaining to Gunsmithing.

Moderators: JackF, Harold_V

Scott

Controversy?

Post by Scott »

I just wanted to see if you guys are asleep at the switch over here in the gun forum.I do know a few gun websites where would be banned for life even saying s&w.Other then the ugly roll marks,do you think it will fly.
http://www.smith-wesson.com/Products/Fi ... 82_lrg.jpg
GeneT

Re: Controversy?

Post by GeneT »

It'll fly. I'm not a fan of S&W ('course I've never been a revolver guy) but, with the exception of the Smegma, their manufacturing quality has always been good. The 1911 is about the most tried-and-true pistol design around, and still dominates competitive shooting. I think it's a good idea on their part. Their own designs, and designs they stole from others sucked, so maybe if they copy the most successful auto-pistol design in the world... [img]/ubb/images/graemlins/wink.gif"%20alt="[/img]
GsT
Scott

Gene,that's not totally true.

Post by Scott »

I own one of these,are find it to be a outstanding pistol.I have a few more that are great pistols.Didn't alot of firearm makers steal from John Browning?
http://www.gunsmagazine.com/Pages/ECJAN02.html
GeneT

Re: Scott, that's totally true!

Post by GeneT »

Scott, I don't think you've contradicted me, or vice versa. What do you think is untrue? The Browning design is outstanding, and yes, virtually every firearm manufacturer (and a sewing machine manufacturer) have used the Browning design. The theft I referred to was S&W's infringement of Glock's design, for which I understand they lost their a$$ in court. Personally, I think the 1911 style (series 70, of course) is the best auto pistol design available today. If you look to the left of this post, and squint, that's me, firing a 1911 (Kimber). So, what do you think is untrue?
(Dadgumit Scott, we need to go shooting! You doin' anything on Feb 2?)

GsT
Scott

Post by Scott »

Gene,I just didn't read your post close enough.I did own a sigma 40,and they should have been sued,but not for copying a glock but for what they forgot to copy.I am just not a fan of plastic,and I have tried a few.

Where do you shoot at,and can you shoot rifles?I will check with my sister to see if she can come over to spell me that day.I will find out tomorrow.

I was looking at a kimber when the s&w called my name.It's also single action,and I seem to be going that way in firearms lately.Something about their triggers.Although I do have one revolver with a great trigger.Guess what brand?

Gene ever shoot any cz handguns?
GeneT

Post by GeneT »

Hey Scott, I've never owned or shot CZ guns. There's one that has my interest, but I'm not certain of the model number (95B?). I typically shoot in Tillamook State Forest (no, it's not all the way to Tillamook) or Tri-County Gun Club in Sherwood. (I'm a member.) Occasionally Douglas Ridge Rifle Club, speaking of which, heck yeah I shoot rifles!! If you have a good trigger on a revolver, it must be a Ruger! <snicker> Seriously, the Rugers are just a spring change away from having an excellent trigger - they haven't skimped on the hammer/sear engagement just because crummy triggers are widely accepted today. Old S&W was the same, new S&W is in need of work... (YMMV, I'm drawing from a small sample)
GsT
gunzilla

Post by gunzilla »

Heck, I think it is great that S&W is doing this... It is sort of like the old joke about what a good weapon the AK47 is, the line goes something like "well, even egypt can't make one that doesn't work" -- but, I have to admit that some of the 1911 parts I have seen lately from off shore are pretty bad.
Scott

Post by Scott »

Gunzilla,I think your post could be more controversal then S&W making a 1911 style gun.So I don't think I will start a AK vs AR thread anytime soon.

Gene,the gun model is the CZ 97-B.I don't have one of those,but I want one.They are really kind of big,and need long fingers,and hands to fire in double action.In single action it can be used by people with average sized hands.I only have three CZ at this time,CZ 40-b,CZ 75-B all steel compact,CZ 52.It's kind of interesting to shoot them side by side my performance center guns.They don't have to take a back seat to any of them.It's kind of cool,but it also kind of pisses me off.
GeorgeGaskill

Re: Capitalism in action! They are making ...

Post by GeorgeGaskill »

what the customer wants to buy.
Al_Messer

Post by Al_Messer »

No Parkerized finish! Ugh! Me no buy!
Al Messer

"One nation, under God"
GeneT

Post by GeneT »

I don't see anything wrong with it, but why not buy from a company (Kimber) that specializes in such pistols? IMO, the only thing the S&W has, that the Kimber is lacking is the nifty fish-scale slide serrations. That can be quickly remedied by most folks on this list...
GsTs
gunzilla

Post by gunzilla »

Scott...

I think most people are turned off more by some of S n' Dubbya's older political blunders than anything -- I am sure that their 1911 is a fine piece, I am not at all a fan of the external extractor, but happy to see that they did not use a ramped barrel.

As for the AR v. AK thing... simple answer, get one (or more) of each!

Gunz