Done a shroud safety conversion on a Rem 700?

Topical Discussions include anything pertaining to Gunsmithing.

Moderators: JackF, Harold_V

GeneT

Done a shroud safety conversion on a Rem 700?

Post by GeneT »

A friend of mine was asking about converting the safety on a Rem 700 to the Winchester style, where the safety is on the bolt shroud. Has anyone done one of these conversions? What's involved?
GsT
Al_Messer

Re: Done a shroud safety conversion on a Rem 700?

Post by Al_Messer »

Does he want something like those sold by Brownells?
Al Messer

"One nation, under God"
kurt

Post by kurt »

Al you beat me to it. Gene look on page 9 cat.54 Brownells.
GeneT

Post by GeneT »

Doh! Thanks guys.
GsT
MikeB

Post by MikeB »

I installed a Gentry safety on a 700 today. That particular one does need to use the special cocking piece that goes with it as the crosspin is vertical on it. I milled the relief into the cocking piece with a 3/16" carbide end mill. It does need to be milled deep enough that it will allow you to pull the safety all the way to the rear before you start moving the notch back to properly engage the safety. Go slow and keep trying it little by little. I held the cocking piece back with a Davidson mainspring tool while doing the mill work on the cocking piece instead of having to take the firing pin assembly apart to make small cuts on the cocking piece. Made it easier reinstalling it back in the bolt to make sure that I didn't go too far. Properly done the cocking piece will move back very slightly when the safety is engaged. Pull the trigger and let off of it, disengage the safety and it shouldn't fire. If it does then the notch has been milled too far back and will need to have a little taken off the end of the cocking piece and off the trigger contact part of the cocking piece. Hope that helps. Its not too difficult to do, but does take some time.
Mike Bryant

[url=http://www.bryantcustom.com]www.bryantcustom.com[/url]