This post continues the artillery thread from ...

Topical Discussions include anything pertaining to Gunsmithing.

Moderators: JackF, Harold_V

John

Re: 1861 8 inch siege Mortar

Post by John »

Check out this place. They have everything you need at a price. [img]/ubb/images/graemlins/grin.gif"%20alt="[/img] Hern Iron Works
Harold_V

Re: Y'all have issues.

Post by Harold_V »

Hey Gene,

Could be you're right. I was in the Utah Guard years ago. Our company (625th MP Co) had a couple of the 50's, which we fired occasionally, but from a tripod. The weight of those things kept them under control, but you sure could feel the power of the round as it was fired. The gun had a sharp kick at the grip as I recall, but the 50 is a very fast gun, especially considering the size of the bullet.

In keeping with my insanity and love of excesses, [img]/ubb/images/graemlins/blush.gif"%20alt="[/img] I had PO Ackley build me a sporting model 458 Winchester magnum back in '59. Because it has no recoil reducing devices of any kind, when loaded with a 500 grain bullet this damned thing kicks so hard it leaves your skin blood shot. It also managed to knock me over once when I was slightly off balance when I fired. It has a tremendous shoving effect, not so much a sharp impact. I attribute that to the relatively slow bullet speed, though I may be way off course here. I'm far from an authority on guns.

Harold
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
GeorgeGaskill

I am working on that but not yet. (notext)

Post by GeorgeGaskill »

GeneT

Post by GeneT »

Howdy Harold,
You have an Ackley built gun!? I'm envious. I love the .458, a friend has one in a Ruger #1 and except for the ludicrously large optics he put on it, it's a great gun. Yeah, you can feel those rounds taking flight - but I live for that feeling. I tried a while back to post a cute little MPEG of my friend being bowled over by his first-ever shot with an 8-bore. (.83 caliber - at the time he was loading it with 300gr of powder, later found out that was just another 100gr of projectile, because cutting back to 200gr. yielded the same velocity.) Having fired HIS new rifle even before him, I had warned him. At least it didn't roll me over. (and no one has video to prove it...) [img]/ubb/images/graemlins/grin.gif"%20alt="[/img] On the .50 BMG (M2, I'm assuming) There's a lot of extra motion there just due to that big ol' bolt sloshin' around in there. Really neat guns tho', I live just down the road from the folks that make the semi-auto M2, for general sale. (TNW)
Take care,
GsT
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

Actually, I have four built by Ackley. He lived not too far from me, and once he understood I was a machinist I was always welcome in his shop. I still hear from his daughter, Jackie, and her husband, Jim. I was quite pleased when PO and Jackie stopped by the new house Susan and I were building when we lived in Utah. They had run an article about the place in the paper and he wanted to see it. I'm not sure he ever knew my name, he always referred to me as "the machinist" according to Jackie.

If you never had the honor of meeting this man, you really missed out. He was, without doubt, one of the most intelligent people I've been privileged to know. His hearing was almost completely gone, so one generally just stood by as he worked and he'd regale you with stories, many times having nothing to do with guns, but very interesting anyway.

Harold
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
GeneT

Post by GeneT »

Now I'm real envious. I've read Ackley's books, but never met the man. I have tremedous respect for him and think that his contributions to modern cartridges are still under-appreciated. (Just goes to show that it's more about marketing than performance.) I think I would have enjoyed listening to him very much. (It's too bad you couldn't have taped his stories...)
GsT
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

He had charm like no one I had met in my life. His common attire was blue overalls, and he spoke without moving his lips. Very strange and decent man. He was regimented by the clock and made no apologies for anything. Should my visit to his shop run into his lunch hour, he simply walked away, going in to his house for his lunch break exactly at 12:00!. It left me with questions, but he was always happy to see me visit, so I have to assume that it was his way and he meant nothing personal by his actions.

I don't know if you'd be interested, but I have attached his obituary, which gives a brief report of his accomplishments and where he spent his time.

Considering his accomplishments, his contributions to firearms, I think it's safe to say that he was more or less a national treasure.

His daughter and husband are now living in the old home in Utah where he ran his last shop. That's a fairly recent development. She is still promoting his hard work through his books. I recall her telling me the last time we spoke that she was finishing up the book he was working on when he died, and would have it published. I assume it is on the market now, considering that was some time ago. We're down to just Christmas cards since we've moved from Utah.

Harold
Shopman

Re: This post continues the artillery thread from ...

Post by Shopman »

I have photos of some Cannons and my Machine Shop
on Face Book.

Do a search for Old Greenfield Cannon Works.

I will post photos here as soon as I learn how.

Take care all;

Michael
Hanover PA
gonavy@reagan.com