plugging a barrel for bluing ....

Topical Discussions include anything pertaining to Gunsmithing.

Moderators: JackF, Harold_V

Russ Hanscom

Re: plugging a barrel for bluing ....

Post by Russ Hanscom »

On the subject of elusive PMs, I sent two recently several weeks apart, or at least I tried to send them. Neither showed in the out basket or sent files.

Thought it was just me, but maybe it is something bigger.
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

For the record, I use the Allan style SUBSILVER as my board choice. I have not experienced any issues with sending or receiving private messages, and that feature gets used extensively by me as a moderator.

My question is---is your experience related to the board choice you've selected?

This issue really needs to be resolved.

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
Russ Hanscom

Post by Russ Hanscom »

I have absolutely no clue what that means. I did manage to find settings and changed mine to SUBSILVER, what ever that does; and will try the email again. Smoke signals are so much easier.
earlgo

Post by earlgo »

H:
Don't know what is happening but here is a screen shot of my global preferences:
Global Preferences
Global Preferences
It may or may not help the troubleshooting.
--earlgo
Before you do anything, you must do something else first. - Washington's principle.
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

Russ,
If you wish, you can send me test messages via PM to verify how it's working.

earlgo
Thanks for posting the screen shot.
My comments here reflect my personal choices. I do not expect others to share my views. That said, I hate the choice you've selected. I find it cumbersome and not very user friendly. I am far and away more comfortable with SUBSILVER, which has proven to be a good fit for me, and it's somewhat more intuitive. That's likely due to my lack of computer prowess, however. Those with a greater understanding of computers most likely feel differently.

I don't know that you'd be interested in trying SUBSILVER, but as a matter of improving the use of the PM feature, I'd certainly encourage you to try. It's easy to make the change if you don't like what you see. There is no mandate that one MUST use any particular choice, so long as it's one of the few offered.

The offer to test the PM feature is open to you, too. You can send messages to me to verify what is and isn't working. Please note that I am on the computer at the beginning and at the end of my day, and I am a night person. My day begins after noon each day.

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
Russ Hanscom

Post by Russ Hanscom »

I did switch to Subsilver and the message did go through; but I have no clue as to whether that was result the switch or whether I did something wrong the previous times - which is entirely possible!
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

Glad to read you enjoyed success, Russ. And I understand that you may not know what really resolved the problem. In talking with Mike (the owner of the board) I mentioned that I think I experienced an issue or two with sending, but it was so long ago that my memory has grown dim. It did, however, teach me to click on the name of the person to whom I'd like to send a message, which then opens their page. From that page I click send a PM, which automatically inserts their address. I have not had a failure following that procedure, and it takes almost no time to accomplish. That's using Alan style SUBSILVER. I have no idea if other board selections might work the same way.

H
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

On the subject---plugging the bore of a weapon before bluing. Is that really necessary? It is known that black oxide does not alter the size of an object so treated. Is there any particular reason one would plug the bore? Inquiring minds want to know!

H
earlgo

Post by earlgo »

H: The choice of prosilver on the global page was the default at the time I joined. I did not even know that there was an option. At your suggestion, I will alter the choice.

Re: Plugging the barrel. We never plugged the barrels at the Colorado School of Trades when using the DuLite bluing (black oxide) process, for the reason you gave. When I was there I don't recall anyone ever doing a rust blue, but that was in 1970 so the memories are a bit faded.
When hot or cold rust bluing, the inside will rust just as severely as the outside if the bore is not protected. One could scrub out the bore after each pass, but it would get to be a pain to be sure all the rust got out of the corners of the grooves and in the chamber area. It is just more convenient to plug the bore. It is bad enough to clean out all the odd places in a receiver, especially for a lever gun.
Expense is the answer to the question of "Why rust blue?" Setting up a black oxide process for one gun every so often is not cost effective. Rust bluing equipment is minimal and far less dangerous than 295°caustic solution that will dissolve aluminum, solder, floor tiles, stove tops, aprons and human tissue. Besides, it is prettier if done correctly.
--earlgo
Before you do anything, you must do something else first. - Washington's principle.
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

I am familiar with the 295° caustic black oxide (I've done it several times), but not at all familiar with what you call rust bluing. However, your response makes it perfectly clear why a barrel would be plugged, and I thank you for that. Sure does make sense.

H
epanzella

Post by epanzella »

I'm trying to PM earlgo but the messages won't show up in my "SENT" list. I was browsing around in the PRIVATE MESSAGE section and found 2 of the PM's I sent in the "OUTBOX". What's the difference between "SENT" and "OUTBOX"?
Ed P
SAVE A COW, EAT A DEER
earlgo

Post by earlgo »

Ed P. I got your 2 messages today 3/4/2019. I am emailing you at the address you sent.
--earlgo