Mauser Cocking Piece

Topical Discussions include anything pertaining to Gunsmithing.

Moderators: JackF, Harold_V

Al_Messer

Mauser Cocking Piece

Post by Al_Messer »

Anyone got any idea how they machined the interrupted square threads inside a Mauser Model 96 Cocking Piece?
Al Messer

"One nation, under God"
GeorgeStringer

Re: Mauser Cocking Piece

Post by GeorgeStringer »

I don't believe they were machined. I think they were cast using cores to form the inside. George
Al_Messer

Post by Al_Messer »

Must have been cast out of "fluid steel" then because the rear end certainly doesn't machine like any other castings I've ever cut.
Al Messer

"One nation, under God"
John

Post by John »

Just looked at one, I beleave it was machined. Some sort of broach to cut the ovol shape.
Butch

Post by Butch »

I have often marveled at how they did some of the machine work on those rifles in 1896. They did not have the tooling or machines that we have today, and the quality and precision is amazing. Some real craftsmen, and many of them were slave labor during the war.
Heavysteamer

Post by Heavysteamer »

I'll make a guess, Al. I think they broached the oval hole then used a series of rotary broaches or a step rotary broach to cut the rest. With a stepped borach you could stick it in a ways, make one turn, step in one thread pitch, make a turn cutting in two places, etc. Boy, I'm never going to get beyond chip sweeper in here.
Al_Messer

Post by Al_Messer »

I'll buy that as it is the only logical way I can see that they did it. If'n anyone knows for sure, I'd sure like to know!
Al Messer

"One nation, under God"