Thompsen Contender

Topical Discussions include anything pertaining to Gunsmithing.

Moderators: JackF, Harold_V

Michael_Az

Thompsen Contender

Post by Michael_Az »

Some years ago mine started misfiring and I never could get it fixed. Seems the hammer safety wasn't falling down fast enough to clear the hammer fall and the hammer would strike it before hitting the firing pin. Seems like I remember going to a stronger spring for the hammer safety and that didn't work. Any of you fellows run into this problem? Thinking about getting it out and trying again.
Thanks
Michael
Saimp 2 HP 10 X 44 mill, #2 Cin Horz Mill, Cholchester 13" lathe, LeBlond 15" Dual Drive.
kurt

Re: Thompsen Contender

Post by kurt »

Take the barrel off and look at the recever face, at the bottom is a cut out and you should see a butterfly like thing with one side, or wing, slighty forward of the otherside, use a screwdriver blade or punch and push ( the side closest ) in and see if the safety bar drops when the trigger is pulled. It could be the lockup lugs, or the butterfly is woren, or just a crud build up.
John

Post by John »

I had this same problem on one about 15 years ago. A call to the factory gave a little info that helped. The action needs to be closed hard or the safty release will not work. If there is any crud between the barrel and frame the action can not close far enough. The words of the man at the factory were " your closing the action like you want it to last 100 years, close it like you want it to only last 10"
sandman2234

Post by sandman2234 »

I used to have one, till the wife found out what it would do to snakes with a .410/.45LongColt barrel attached. Haven't seen it since....
Did notice that I could get all the .410 shells anytime I wanted, with "no questions asked", just by saying, "I think we are running low on .410's....

I did take over here Walther PPK in exchange, so it wasn't a total loss.
BP 2j vs, SB lathe, W& S #4 Turret lathe, Maho 600P
Michael_Az

Post by Michael_Az »

Thanks for the replys fellows, it helps.
Michael
Saimp 2 HP 10 X 44 mill, #2 Cin Horz Mill, Cholchester 13" lathe, LeBlond 15" Dual Drive.