22 Barrel liner

Topical Discussions include anything pertaining to Gunsmithing.

Moderators: JackF, Harold_V

qwhit

22 Barrel liner

Post by qwhit »

I am in the process of restoring 2 Stevens Crack Shot rifles, both need relined.
All the gunsmiths I talked to say to use JB Weld or epoxy to hold the liner in.
Being a machinist I don't like that. What I would like to do is 'thermal shrink fit' the liner into the barrel.
I have never done this before, any suggestions or comments?
Thanks for any info.
10KPete

Re: 22 Barrel liner

Post by 10KPete »

As much as you may not like it, epoxy is the best way to install that liner. Take it from one who's done quite a few, trying to get that long, thin, tube to go in as a shrink fit will result in the liner stuck half way down. Then you'll have to drill it out and do it again.

I know of a number of folks who've had the thoughts you're having, tried, and failed. Before epoxy came along liners were soft soldered in, sometimes successfully! Usually they were machined for a light press fit at the chamber end and a good sliding fit at the muzzle and free in between.

Epoxy made the whole business easy!

Pete
Just tryin'
Rolland

Post by Rolland »

I use acraglas from Brownells
hammermill

Post by hammermill »

i as will go with arcu glass or epoxy aproach se/mixed to give lots of working time
jpfalt

Post by jpfalt »

I have also installed with soft solder. Both surfaces pretinned. The only advantage is that it is reversible or adjustable after installation.
earlgo

Post by earlgo »

When I was at the CST in the '70s, we were taught to use soft solder even though Acraglas was always used for stock bedding. It was considered bad form to get the liner in half way and have it all cool off. The Acraglas would have made things much easier.
Since then I have used Loctite to secure a 6" revolver barrel liner and cylinder sleeves. It worked just fine and all are still in place. Loctite will set up fast so you have to be sure the liners are seated in a hurry. Now days there are slower setting Loctites.
Just a point of interest, the barrel liner had an integral forcing cone boss and was inserted in the threaded end of the barrel. The cylinder sleeves had stop bosses and were inserted in the front of the cylinder. The thought was that the escaping gas in the barrel/cylinder gap would then be pushing against hard stops.
--earlgo
Before you do anything, you must do something else first. - Washington's principle.
Nevadaed

Post by Nevadaed »

Lock tite green available at NAPA stores is made for that purpose